Acharya Ratnananda has unique blend of scientific temper along with knowledge about Indian heritage. The same reflects in his book “More Light on Less Known part 2” that highlights applied science from Vedas. The book discusses many aspects of life like love, concepts, truth, logic, law, astrology, Vaastu, sentiment, wisdom, devotion, salvation and so on. He invites all the readers to explore the journey of life, with curiosity. Learn from past mistake and build on future hope. Be confidence yet cautious.
The book starts with a prayer from Upnisada : “Grant us glow of attraction, the wealth of virtues and the power to win.” We want to win as many people and as long as possible in physical or metaphysical spheres. Success is money, power, position to win people. Love leads us to ultimate success.
Mythologica stories from Indian History may have less fact and more imagination, but they are full of ancient knowledge that is applicable even today. Purana has 150,000 stories in 6 divisions. They are gathered under project “Tales for young and old”. The lessons from such tales are listed here. Few stories are in context of ancient Ashram (Gurukul), a master, disciples, their interactions, tests and ends with beautiful pearls of wisdom. Even one chapter explains difference between disciple and devotee.
- The master is path to our destination, but not destiny. He gives us true vision. We all share the master and none of us can secure Him only for oneself. He is within us, we need to realize it.
- The master represent both creator and creation. So if one comes to the master, he can gain real knowledge beyond books and real love that sprouts from gratitude.
- Duryodhan could not find any good person and Yudhishthir could not find any bad one. Wisdom blossoms, when we find a spark of virtue in everything. One can progress faster with positive attitude.
- A person who is at peace with himself and the world, full of faith in the master and love for mankind, need not run after enlightenment. Enlightenment will run after him.
- Lord’s name can do wonders beyond our imagination. It working is subtle and sublime.
- Brahma Vayvartha Purana explains shuttle meaning of the Lord Krishna’s birth.
- God helps those who help themselves.
- Shiva Purana has a nice story about 5 types of fools.
- All problem arise because we feel that life is quite long, though we see death all around us everyday.
- Katho-upanishad narrates famous story of Nachiketa.
- As per Maharshi Chandilya, knowledge carries us only half way to bliss. Love can transport us through other half. Knowledge coupled with love culminates in enlightenment. It is very essential to possess knowledge without falling into trap of ego and also to serve people with love and humility. The grace of the Master is also necessary.
- The realised souls avoids contact with vulgarity, not out of fear, but out of desire to keep away from impurity, though they are strong enough to destroy the impurity.
Our body has most complex systems. 72,000 nerves. Heart that beats 2.5 billion times in 60 to 70 years. Lungs intakes 10,000 litter air per day. The author compares various medicines and how eastern medicines are the best. Ayurveda (in North India) by sage Dhanvantri and Siddha (in South India) by Maharishi Agasthya have many commonalities. Both cure illness rather suppressing symptoms. Both recognize 3 Gunas that affect mental state and both depend on 3 Dosa diagnosis. As per Ayurveda there are only 8 basic ailments. Both produce 3 forms of drugs powder, paste and oil using herbs, minerals and metals. Anu Tailam (Atmoic Fluid), Argam, Haritaki, garlic, onion, Pancha Deepagni food suplement etc are some of the unique medicines in Ayurveda/Siddha. As per Maharsishi Punarvasu food is the best medicine, both preventive and curative. Nowadays we lost habit for proper food in right quantity at right time. Yoga is much more than physical exercises (Asana). Pranayama (breathing exercise) is drugless remedy for most of our illness. Avvaiyar was incarnation of Goddess Saraswati. She composed Tamil poems, which have gross and subtler meaning for "reversal of aging" technique.
Art of Living
Most of the time, either we try to impress others or we are impressed by others. We should also look in. We can make ourselves as a perfect specimen of Nature. This is Art of Living. It guides us to find pleasing approach to life. There are only 3 basic values in the world. Value of life, knowledge and justice. Human values involve blending of life with love, knowledge with experience and justice with compassion. The author dedicated few chapters for his son (by birth) Sri Sri Ravishankar and Art of Living. He described him as a modern Messiah and lists out though provoking words by the master.
The chapter "The Great March" is about history. India recognized Germany's greatness in distant past. Indian people reached there and addressed local people as Sharmanya (the wise ones). This term inn course of centuries become "Germany". Indian found a country covered with white snow and gave name "Sweta Desa". This term slowly become "Sweden". Even today many names in Sweden and Germany revel its Sanskrit connections like "Vastra, Viveka, Swastika, Kalburga" etc. As per modern German researchers, Jesus Christ came to India in very young age and studied Indian scriptures for 15 years. There are edicts and monuments in Kashmir to prove this.
As per sage Anandi 5 steps for fulfillments are : Gyan, Dhan, Dharm, Karm and Tapsya. We face many situations throughout our life. We need to face them with calmness and detachment instead of worry and anxiety. As per Maharishi Agasthay 5 steps for success are Vastra (your dressing). Vapusha is how you carry yourself with poise, presentability, dignity etc. Vacha (speech). Be good listener. Manage to say more YES and less NO. Vidya: Proper homework before expressing/exposing yourself. Vinaya (humility). As per Saint Saraswati, 4 kinds of Happiness. Priya is when the object is at distance. Moda, when one comes to closer proximity. Pramoda: a sense of possession. Ananda is joy of giving - the ultimate one. Various sages have contributed for 6 validations. They are Nyaya, Vaisheshika, Sankhya, Yoga, Karma Mimamasa and Vedanta. 5 varieties of heat generating devices in our metabolism, for equilibrium of 3 dosa. They are Prana, Apana, Vyana, Udana and Samana. Ayurveda Samhitas prescribe foods for pregnant women.
Neeti Shastra concisely defines good and bad executives. It also suggests to delink happiness from events.
The author describes the present situation of Indian Rural women. They are economically poor, but spiritually rich. Their beliefs, challenges, responsibility, needs etc. are covered in a chapter.
Uragapura (Sojourn of snakes) is a tiny village with natural beauty and peaceful atmosphere, just one hour away from Bangalore.
As per Dr. Tony Nader, Vedas are the blue print of all creation. Quantum physics speaks language of Upnishida.
As per Atharva Veda, while sleeping one should keep his head to south or east direction. Acharya Ratnananda has explained the scientific reason for it. Avoid daytime sleep. Let the dinner be light and early. Repeat few mantras to relax your mind before sleep.
The book has many nice quotations. Some of them I liked very much:
- Your words should be such that they create silence in the mind of others.
- Give Charity if you can, if not, At least be charitable in attitudes.
- Reputation is the value that others give to you; but Honour is the value that you give to yourself.
- Our chef prepare novel varieties of food and our doctors discover newer varieties of sickness.
- Modern science has reduced pressure on muscles through more machines & increased pressure on nerves through more tension.
- The heart is very small, but the emotions it produces are very big.